The place is a conglomeration of natural beauty and man’s improvisation. So here is some information about this divine serenity.
Takdah: The place is surrounded with high mountains and tea gardens and has a colonial legacy of wonderful British bungalows which were constructed for the military personnel and tea estate owners. The small town of Takdah (formerly known as Tukdah- meaning a place among the clouds) is 4124 ft above sea level. It is roughly a 3 hrs drive from Siliguri (uphill) and takes 1/2 hr less while coming back to Siliguri. A British era military cantonment, Takdah boasts of tea gardens like Rungli, Giele and Teesta Valley tea gardens. The main junction of Takdah is called Dara Dokan. A weekly market, held every Thursday, is a sight worth watching as people from all the nearby villages come to shop their weekly needs.
- Darjeeling- 28 kms. 40 mins.
- Kalimpong -40 kms. 1hr 15mins.
- Lamhatta- 40kms. 1hr 15 mins.
- Tinchuley Village- 3kms. 15 mins
- Peshoke View point/Lover’s viewpoint-10kms. 20 mins
From NJP to Takdah:
A hired car will charge anything between Rs.1800 (for small cars)-Rs.3000( for 4 wheels SUVs) to reach Takdah. If you are travelling in groups of 4 or more, its always economical to hire a share taxi of 8 seater or 12 seater at Rs.110/- per seat. For people who love travelling by Shatabdi Express, a one night stay at NJP will cost you anything between Rs.500- Rs. 1500 (depending on the luxury of the accommodation). But a word of warning- NJP and Siliguri also has many hotels of dubious reputation,so choose wisely while travelling.
Staying at Takdah:
- Triple bedded Luxury rooms- Rs.1800/night. (to be revised from Jan)
- Double bedded Luxury rooms- Rs.1600/night. ( to be revised from Jan)
- Meal plans- Rs.600/head/day ( 3 meals, any snacks and between meals not inclusive)
- With free awesome view of the valley and the mountains. 🙂
Basudharani Abashik Griha– for a special discount coupon write firstname.lastname@example.org
- Double bedded luxury rooms- Rs.1300/night. Rs.300 for an extra cot.
- Meal Plan-Rs.600/head/day.
For a very budget stay: Anugrah Cottage – Takdah Cantonment
Write to email@example.com for a special discount coupon
- Double bed standard- Rs.800/-
- Triple bed standard- Rs.900/-
- Triple Bed deluxe- Rs. 1200/-
- Four bed standard- Rs.1000/-
- Four bed deluxe – Rs.1600/-
Conveyance and Car tariffs:
While travelling from NJP or Siliguri-
- Hired Taxis or cars- Rs.2000- Rs.3000 ( depending on the car)
- Share 12 seat vehicles- Rs.110/- per head. ( If you have a group, you can hire all the seats and that will amount to Rs.1320/- which is more cost effective than the regular private taxis)
For a sightseeing plan from Takdah:
Rs.2500/- Rs.3200/- ( depending on your power of bargain)
All the home-stays have modern facilities and food is served according to your preference. Happy stay at Takdah and do not forget to take an early morning or late evening walk in the lap of the Himalayas.
For a detailed description of the place:
Write up and pic credit: Mohua Roy.